Briefs: Sports Timeout Sept. 03, 2009
• Western Colorado Baseball Association: Openings are available for players ages 12-under, 13-under and 14-under beginning next April. Information: Mike Bullen, 242-3528.
• Mesa County Jr. Women’s Basketball: Tryouts for AAU teams for 7th and 8th grade girls are in September, with girls trying out according to high school attendance areas.
Fruita Monument: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 22 at Redlands Middle School; Grand Junction: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 23, West Middle School; Central: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 24, Grand Mesa Middle School. Information: Rick Hensley, 361-0133 or Dave Montoya, 270-8703.
• Steamboat Stage Race: Sept. 4-7 in Steamboat Springs. Road race sanctioned by American Cycling Association. Professional and amateur categories. Volunteers needed for course marshals, EMTs and support vehicle drivers. Information: http://www.bikesteamboat.com or 603-969-9269.
• Delta Mountain Bike Race: Twelve-hour team relay race Sept. 19 to raise money for Boy Scout Troop 497 of Cedaredge and Delta County Search & Rescue. The 15-mile race includes 1,600-feet of climbing on old Jeep trails. Information: http://www.deltabikerace.com or Rick Schaefer, 835-4800 or 640-2425.
• Junior Golf Camp: Mondays and Tuesdays, 4:30-6 p.m. at Lincoln Park. Camp begins Sept. 7. Cost: $100 per student. Information: 242-6394.
• Rifle Labor Day Tournament: Sept. 5-6 at Rifle Creek Golf Course. Entry fee: $125 plus carts for tee times both days. Gross and net payoffs. Send pre-paid entries to Rifle Creek Golf Course, 3004 Highway 325, Rifle, 81650. Information: 970-635-1093.
• Express All-Star Tournament: Four-person best ball tournament Sept. 20 at Adobe Creek Golf Course. Shotgun start at 9 a.m. Entry fee: $100 per person includes green fees, cart, prizes, lunch and beverages. Mail entries to Brad Class, 2820 Dillon Court, Grand Junction, 81506. Information: 260-1681.
• Latin-Anglo Alliance Tournament: Four-person scramble to provide scholarships for area youth takes place with 1 p.m. shotgun start Sept. 26 at Adobe Creek Golf Course. Entry fee: $75 per player, $300 team, includes cart, post-tournament meal. Prizes will be awarded. Information: Pat Baca, 216-4222, Modesto Galvan, 270-9479, Herman Lucero, 261-3571, Mike Archuleta, 216-7332 or Rich Baca, 245-7789.
• Football Officials: The Grand Junction Football Officials Association is seeking new members for the 2009 fall season. Information: Jerry, 523-1211, or Tom, 242-4610.
• Spur of the Moment 5K: Sept. 12, 8:30 a.m., Junior Legion Park off Redlands Parkway. Information: Jay, 640-2746, or Larry, 270-0774.
• Dobie Desert Classic 5K: Sept. 26, in conjunction with the Hotchkiss High School Cross Country Invitational at the high school. Course includes challenging hills. Registration: 8 a.m., race begins at 9 a.m. Entry fee: $10, includes T-shirt. Information: Kelly Cowan, 872-3578 or Richard Hypio, 872-1168.
• Anna Banana 5K: Oct. 3, 8:30 a.m., Connected Lakes State Park. Information: Martelle, 252-5255.
• Girls on the Run: Registration open for girls in grades 3-8 for a 10-week after-school program that uses the power of running to prepare girls for a lifetime of self-respect
and healthy living. Register online at http://www.gotrwesterncolorado.org or call 257-9267 to receive a registration form. Fee: $40, full and partial scholarships are available.
• Grand Junction Dolphins: Year-round swim lessons for ages 5 and older. Competitive and pre-competitive teams for all ages and abilities. Information: 260-8459. Masters information: 245-5731.
• Grand Valley Wave: Competitive swim team for all ages and abilities. Information: Ellie, 250-9617.
• Tennis Lessons: For adults and juniors at all levels at Junction Indoor Tennis Center. After School Clinics for ages 8-18, Monday through Thursday, 4-5:30 p.m.; ages 4-7, Tuesday/Thursday, 4-5 p.m. information 241-2280.
• Labor Day Safari and Camp-Out: Jeep trips Sept. 5-7 in Moab, Utah. Two- and three-day camping trips and several day trips available for groups or individuals. Fee: $50 for first trail, $25 for each additional trail. Information: http://www.rr4w.com.
• Adult Kickball League: Coed league runs from Sept. 20-Oct. 25, with games on Sunday evenings at Little Salt Wash Park. Cost: $250 per team, up to 25 people per roster. Registration deadline: Sept. 7. Information: 858-0360 or go to http://www.fruita.org.