Briefs: Sports Timeout Sept. 17, 2009
• Western Colorado Baseball Association: Openings are available for teams ages 12-under, 13-under and 14-under beginning next April. Information: Mike Bullen, 242-3528.
• Mesa County Jr. Women’s Basketball: Tryouts for AAU teams for 7th and 8th grade girls. Fruita Monument area: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 22 at Redlands Middle School; Grand Junction: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 23, West Middle School; Central: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 24, Grand Mesa Middle School. Information: Rick Hensley, 361-0133 or Dave Montoya, 270-8703.
• Delta Little League Basketball: Register Oct. 1-Nov. 15; practices begin in December. For boys and
girls grades K-6. Fee: $35. Information: Whitnee Cannon, 874-0923.
• Delta Adult Basketball: Five divisions of 5-on-5 leagues. Register Oct. 1-Nov. 15. Games begin in December. Fee: $275 per team, plus a $20 player fee. Information: Whitnee Cannon, 874-0923.
• Delta Mountain Bike Race: Twelve-hour team relay race Sept. 19 to raise money for Boy Scout Troop 497 of Cedaredge and Delta County Search & Rescue. The 15-mile race includes 1,600-feet of climbing on old Jeep trails. Information: http://www.deltabikerace.com or Rick Schaefer, 835-4800 or 640-2425.
• TurkeyBowl Classic: Seventh annual adult 5-on-5 flag tournament, weekend of Nov. 7 in Delta. Fee: $150 per team. Information: Whitnee Cannon, 874-0923.
• Frolic & Finale Couples Tournament: Registration for the Chapman format tournament on Sept. 19-20 at Rifle Creek Golf Course is still being accepted. Entry fee: $175 per couple includes cart. Shotgun start 11 a.m. on Saturday, 9 a.m. on Sunday. information: 970-625-1093.
• Lincoln Park Men’s Club: Championship Sept. 26-27, 9 a.m. shotgun start both days. Fee $100; deadline is Sept. 24 at noon. Information: 242-6394.
• Adobe Creek Mixed Couples League: Every Sunday, shotgun start at 4 p.m. No GHIN or league fees, all levels welcome. If you don’t have a partner, you will be assigned one. Information: Joyce or Jerry Clarke, 261-1676.
• Express All-Star Tournament: Four-person best ball tournament Sept. 20 at Adobe Creek Golf Course. Shotgun start at 9 a.m. Entry fee: $100 per person, includes green fees, cart, prizes, lunch and beverages. Mail entries to Brad Class, 2820 Dillon Court, Grand Junction, 81506. Information: 260-1681.
• Latin-Anglo Alliance Tournament: Four-person scramble to provide scholarships for area youth takes place with 1 p.m. shotgun start Sept. 26 at Adobe Creek Golf Course. Entry fee: $75 per player, $300 team, includes cart, post-tournament meal. Prizes will be awarded. Information: Pat Baca, 216-4222, Modesto Galvan, 270-9479, Herman Lucero, 261-3571, Mike Archuleta, 216-7332 or Rich Baca, 245-7789.
• Dobie Desert Classic 5K: Sept. 26, in conjunction with the Hotchkiss High School Cross Country Invitational at the high school. Course includes challenging hills. Registration: 8 a.m., race begins at 9 a.m. Entry fee: $10, includes T-shirt. Information: Kelly Cowan, 872-3578 or Richard Hypio, 872-1168.
• Traveling Team Tryouts: For a 12-under girls travel softball team to play competitively in the Denver area. Bring your gear and water bottle to Grand Mesa Little League at 10 a.m. on Sept. 19. Information: 434-4346.
• Grand Junction Dolphins: Year-round swim lessons for ages 5 and older. Competitive and pre-competitive teams for all ages and abilities. Information: 260-8459. Masters information: 245-5731.
• Tennis Lessons: Available for adults and juniors of all levels at the Junction Indoor Tennis Center. Information: 241-2280.
• Mesa County Tennis Program: Program includes adult and junior lessons and drill clinics. Information: http://www.mesacountytennis.com or call 242-1363.