Briefs: Sports Timeout Sept. 25, 2009
• Western Colorado Baseball Association: Openings are available for teams ages 12-under, 13-under and 14-under beginning next April. Information: Mike Bullen, 242-3528.
• Mavs Sports Club: 14-and-under competitive team tryouts are Oct. 31, noon to 3 p.m., Kronkright Complex. Information: Ron, 260-7157.
• Delta Little League Basketball: Register Oct. 1-Nov. 15; practices begin in December. For boys and girls grades K-6. Fee: $35. Information: Whitnee Cannon, 874-0923.
• Delta Adult Basketball: Five divisions of 5-on-5 leagues. Register Oct. 1-Nov. 15. Games begin in December. Fee: $275 per team, plus a $20 player fee. Information: Whitnee Cannon, 874-0923.
• TurkeyBowl Classic: Seventh annual adult 5-on-5 flag tournament, weekend of Nov. 7 in Delta. Fee: $150 per team. Information: Whitnee Cannon, 874-0923.
• Adobe Creek Mixed Couples League: Every Sunday, shotgun start at 4 p.m. No GHIN or league fees, all levels welcome. If you don’t have a partner, you will be assigned one. Information: Joyce or Jerry Clarke, 261-1676.
• Latin-Anglo Alliance Tournament: Four-person scramble to provide scholarships for area youth takes place with 1 p.m. shotgun start Sept. 26 at Adobe Creek Golf Course. Entry fee: $75 per player, $300 team, includes cart, post-tournament meal. Prizes will be awarded. Information: Pat Baca, 216-4222, Modesto Galvan, 270-9479, Herman Lucero, 261-3571, Mike Archuleta, 216-7332 or Rich Baca, 245-7789.
• Jacob Vaughn Face Off: Scramble golf tournament Sept. 28 at The Bridges Golf Course in
Montrose. Benefits Montrose High School graduate Jacob Vaughn, who was injured in a rollover traffic accident. Silent auction and lunch begins at 11 a.m., shotgun start for tournament at 1 p.m. Fee: $75 per person, includes green fee and lunch) Information: 252-8899. Hole sponsorships available: Calina Baize, 497-9181.
• Diamond in the Rough: Mesa State baseball team benefit tournament and silent auction is Oct. 3 at Adobe Creek. Shotgun start at 9 a.m. Cost: $75 per player, $300 per four-player team. Hole sponsorships ($100, $150 levels) available. Entry deadline: Sept. 26. Information: Chris Hanks, 248-1891 or Kristy Armour, 216-2222.
• Dobie Desert Classic 5K: Sept. 26, in conjunction with the Hotchkiss High School Cross Country Invitational at the high school. Course includes challenging hills. Registration: 8 a.m., race begins at 9 a.m. Entry fee: $10, includes T-shirt. Information: Kelly Cowan, 872-3578 or Richard Hypio, 872-1168.
• Anna Banana 5K: Oct. 3, 8:30 a.m., Connected Lakes State Park. Information: Martelle, 252-5255.
• Harbert Lumber Fall 5K: Nov. 7, 10 a.m., Canyon View Park. Includes Toddler Trot Fun Run at 9:30. Race is a benefit for Girls on the Run. Fee: $25 through Oct. 25, $35 after. Register online at Active.com. Information: Kathaleen Recker, 257-9267.
• Travel Team Tryouts: For a 12-under girls travel softball team to play competitively in the Denver area. Bring your gear and water bottle to Grand Mesa Little League, Oct. 3 at 11 a.m. Information: 434-4346
• Grand Junction Dolphins: Year-round swim lessons for ages 5 and older. Competitive and pre-competitive teams for all ages and abilities. Information: 260-8459. Masters information: 245-5731.
• Grand Valley Wave: Competitive swim team for all ages and abilities. Information: Ellie, 250-9617.
• Parent/Tot Level 1: Classes for young swimmers are Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, Bill Heddles Recreation Center in Delta. Signups end Oct. 26. Information: Holly or Erin, 874-0923.
• Tennis Lessons: Available for adults and juniors of all levels at the Junction Indoor Tennis Center. Information: 241-2280.
• Mesa County Tennis Program: Program includes adult and junior lessons and drill clinics. Information: http://www.mesacountytennis.com or call 242-1363.
• Steak & Crab Fest: All you can eat steak and crab dinner for $35, including drinks, from 6-9 p.m. on Oct. 3 at Lincoln Park Barn. Hot dogs and sodas are available for children for $3. Proceeds benefit Mesa State wrestling. Information: Chuck Pipher, 248-1460.
• Table Tennis: Sundays from 1-5 p.m. at Bookcliff Recreation Center. All abilities welcome. Information: 255-0280.