Family members go the distance to see Mavs play in World Series

CARY, N.C. — Howard Anderson wasn’t going to let a 2,200-mile road trip stop him and his daughter, Monica, from attending the Mesa State College baseball team’s World Series appearance.

Howard’s son, Greg, is a reserve outfielder for the Mavericks. Mesa State (44-14) was off Tuesday and plays Belmont Abbey (N.C.) College again today in an elimination game at 5 p.m. (MDT) at the USA Baseball Training Complex.

“We were always thinking about it and whether we could fly but we can’t afford it,”
Howard Anderson said. “We were going to Maryland to watch Greg play this summer, but we decided we were going (to the World Series).

“As soon as the (championship) game was over in regionals, we called and made hotel reservations. We decided it was cheaper to drive. I glad we did (come).”

The Andersons drove from their home in Tempe, Ariz., and took Interstate 40 the entire way across seven states. They left Wednesday morning and arrived Friday afternoon.

“It was a long drive,” he said. “We took turns driving.”

The Andersons stayed “somewhere in Oklahoma and outside of Nashville,” Monica Anderson said.

“I wanted to go,” she said. “I like traveling. I didn’t care about the drive. It was getting him (dad) to go.”

Monica, 19, received her associate’s degree from Gateway (Ariz.) Community College and is enrolled at Arizona State University.

The drive wasn’t without a little adversity. They were loading their Chrysler PT Cruiser one morning when they noticed a tire was flat. They had to take it to Wal-Mart to get it fixed. There was an accident on the Interstate right in front of them, but they were able
to avoid it.

Anderson’s family wasn’t the only one to make the drive.

Freshman first baseman Chase Moore’s family drove from their home in Ogden, Utah.

“We planned on it from the beginning,” Robert Moore said. “When they finally won
(regionals) we started looking for flights. We found a decent flight, but I couldn’t get off work for it. That flight left at noon Wednesday.”

The Moores weren’t going to let that stop them, so they decided to drive.

“It worked out,” Moore said. “If we flew, it would’ve just been my wife and I. This way, two of our kids were able to come out.”

They left at 3 a.m. on Thursday, taking I-80 through Wyoming and Nebraska, then worked their way down through St. Louis to Cary. The trip was 2,150 miles, Moore said.

“It was a fun drive,” Moore said. “The first day was bad across Wyoming and Nebraska. We stayed in St. Louis. The drive from there to here was pretty.”


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy