GJ boys lacrosse team dominates Telluride

Grand Junction’s Marques Coombs takes a shot on goal as teammate Stephen Foster lies on the ground Friday in the Tigers’ 15-1 win over Telluride.

Grand Junction High School took 11 shots in the first quarter but didn’t put one in the net until three seconds remained.

Goals weren’t nearly as hard to come by after that as the Tigers beat Telluride 15-1 in a nonleague boys lacrosse game Friday at Long Family Park.

Grand Junction coach James States attributed the first-quarter futility to Telluride surprising the Tigers (2-1) with a different defense.

“We noticed they were playing man. ... The offense we had was prepared for a zone,” States said. “Once we made some adjustments, we knew where the shots were.”

Jayden Lafferty finally put Grand Junction on the scoreboard, taking a pass from Charlie Ruckman and finding the net with a shot from about 10 yards away to close the first quarter.

The Tigers were back on the board 36 seconds into the second quarter, as Ben Eisenhauer scored with an assist from Stephen Foster. Then, it was Foster’s turn to put the ball in the net as he scored the next two goals, the second one with an assist from Ruckman with seven minutes, 42 seconds left in the half for a 4-0 lead, which stood for the halftime score.

At that point, Grand Junction had outshot the Miners 22-4. The Tigers allowed Telluride only one shot the rest of the way.

“Our defense has been playing incredible. I can’t deny that,” States said. “We’ve had good teamwork and good communication together.”

Eisenhauer scored the first two goals of the third quarter to notch a hat trick, the first of his high school career.

The junior attacker said the Tigers weren’t placing their shots in the first quarter, a matter of reacting without thinking. Once they took a split second to think about where they wanted to put the ball, they started finding the net.

As for his goals, Eisenhauer credited his teammates for moving the ball well and getting it to him in open space. Then, he said, it was a matter of quick looks and finishing.

“He did a good job of finding the open spot,” States said. “Great job with his quick stick.”

The Tigers pulled most of their starters by the middle of the third quarter, and when Ike Meyer scored with about eight minutes left in the contest, the running clock went into effect. Grand Junction still scored four more times.

“We played our younger kids, and I was very impressed with how they played,” States said.

Meyer joined Eisenhauer with three goals, and States said, “Finding the right spot, that’s what he was doing. I’m very proud of him.”

For the game, Grand Junction outshot Telluride 55-5, and the Tigers had a 43-12 advantage in loose balls controlled. The Miners’ lone goal came with 32 seconds left in the third quarter, making the score 7-1.

Fruita Monument 12, Bishop Machebeuf 1: Ten different players scored goals for the Wildcats, who won their first game of the season.

Brayden Plock was the only Wildcat with more than one goal as he tallied three, and Fruita (1-3) outshot the Buffaloes 38-4.

“They threw the ball around and let things open up, and it was fun to watch,” Fruita coach Mark Young said.

Young added, “We’ve had a hard time with Denver teams. It was nice to finally beat a Denver team.”


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy