Incredible ending for Indians

Youngren's two-point conversion in second OT sends Montrose to Class 4A title game

Montrose’s Angelo Youngren ran for 184 yards, including the go-ahead two-point conversion in the Indians’ 39-38 2OT victory over Pueblo South.

PUEBLO — The coach made a gutsy call.

And his players executed.

In a game that last nearly three hours Saturday afternoon, somebody had to win.

Montrose High School was that somebody.

Angelo Youngren’s sprint to the right corner of the goal line resulted in a 2-point conversion, giving Montrose a 39-38 victory over Pueblo South in double overtime in an epic Class 4A semifinal battle at Dutch Clark Stadium.

The win sends the Indians
(12-1) into the Class 4A state championship game against Pine Creek next Saturday at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Pine Creek knocked off defending champion Monarch 21-7 in the other semifinal.

The loss ended South’s season at 11-2 and kept the Colts from reaching their first championship game ever. It was the third time South has lost in the state semifinals in its history, the first time at home.

Montrose is making its seventh state championship appearance, having won its only title in 1950.

“Coach said it was going to come down to the fourth quarter and it actually came down to overtime, two of them,” Youngren said. “I trust my coach, whatever play he calls. I believe in my teammates.”

South rallied from a 21-7 halftime deficit with two third-quarter touchdowns to tie the game. Then, both teams had length-of-the-field drives to set up field goals in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter that sent the game into overtime knotted 24-24.

Both teams scored on their first possession of overtime and both kicked their extra points, leaving the game tied at 31-31.

South grabbed its first lead of the game to start the second overtime when Nathan Spinuzzi snuck in from 1 yard out. Spinuzzi then kicked the extra point for a 38-31 lead.

Montrose countered with a TD of its own when Youngren scored from 1 yard out to pull the Indians within 38-37. This time, there was not an extra-point kick attempt.

Instead, Montrose went for broke with a two-point conversion — either to win the game or lose the game.

“In that sequence I didn’t want to go for two when we scored first (in the first overtime),” Montrose coach Todd Casebier said. “When I saw them kick it the second time, we told our kids we were going for two when we scored.

“We put it in our best kid’s hands and he made a play. We made one more play. Fortunately, we did. Otherwise, they’d be going to the state championship instead of us. We were able to make one more play.”

South head coach Ryan Goddard, whose team went from worst to first in the Foothills League, turning around a program that was 3-17 the past two seasons, admitted the loss and the final play was difficult to swallow.

“I have a hard time talking about that (final) 2-point conversion,” Goddard said. “Our kids were in position to make a play ... I’m not going to say anything bad there.”

In retrospect, asked if he would go for two in either the first or second overtime instead of kicking the extra point, Goddard responded, “We haven’t gone for two all year. We have a reliable kicker. If they are going for two there (in the second overtime), we had to stop them, unfortunately we didn’t. That’s what happened.”

Montrose rolled up 411 yards of offense, 297 on the ground led by Youngren’s 184 on 33 carries. The Colts managed 302 total yards, 219 through the air.

“We talked to the kids at halftime to play hard for 24 minutes, play for each other,” Goddard said. “The kids made a heck of a run. It’s a special group. It was unfortunate there at the end.

“Give credit to Montrose and I wish them the best next week.”


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy