Indians showcase depth in victory over Warriors

In the second half of Tuesday’s 5-1 Southwestern League win over Central at Long Family Memorial Park, the 10th-ranked Montrose High School soccer team had a chance to show off its depth.

The Indians (7-0-2, 3-0-1 SWL) led 1-0 at halftime, but four different players scored in the final 40 minutes to break the game open.

“I think one of the strengths of this team over teams I’ve coached in years past is that they’re real balanced,” Montrose coach Jim Pavlich said, “I’m not relying on one guy to get my goals in.”

The goals, in order, came from Alec Rose, Cade English, Hector Almanza and Samuel Estrada, and helped the Indians pull away from what was a close game early.

Rose started the second-half frenzy with a rebound goal for a 2-0 lead.

Shortly after Central’s Leonard Herman scored to cut it to 2-1, English got an open shot in the right side of the box,. His laser shot landed in the net to make it 3-1.

“I was coming down and going for the pinch to actually give it to someone in the (penalty kick) region but I saw an opening between the keeper and the near post and just took an inside foot shot,” English said.

In the 60th minute, Almanza scored after breaking free on a run, and Estrada scored in the 73rd minute after his shot deflected off a defender and rolled in.

Although Central (6-3, 3-2 SWL) was outshot 7-2 on goal in the first half, the Warriors controlled possession and Montrose’s shots came in quick spurts and were stopped by goalie Antonio Tarin.

Montrose’s only score in the first half was an own goal. Central attempted to clear the ball back to Tarin, but it rolled past him into the net.

In the second half, the Indians tested Central’s defense with an aggressive offense.

“They were bringing five, six people, and we had five back there,” Central coach Doug Beach said. “They were flooding one side and sure enough, they scored on it.”

Montrose’s back line stifled the Warriors’ offense, allowing Central’s forwards few chances to get the ball in the box for good shots. The Warriors finished with five shots on goal.

In the 23rd minute, Central had a chance to tie the game with a free kick several yards outside the penalty area. The kick by Cory Rhodes missed high, but a penalty was called inside the box. On the penalty kick, Rhodes missed wide.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy