MAV WATCH: Mesa State looks to avenge loss to Adams, keep RMAC hopes alive
Adams State College spoiled Mesa State’s RMAC title and NCAA Division II football playoff hopes last season with a come-from-behind victory in Alamosa.
It started a three-game losing streak for the Mavericks, ending the season well short of their goal.
The Mavericks (5-3, 5-1 RMAC) are not only looking to avenge that loss, they are looking to keep their RMAC titles hopes alive with a victory at 1 p.m. today at Stocker Stadium.
The Grizzlies (3-5, 3-3 RMAC), meanwhile, are left to play the role of spoiler again.
Here are five things to watch in today’s game:
1) Stephen Baca is back: The Adams State senior, who led the Grizzlies’ upset last year, could line up as a receiver, in the backfield or at QB.
2) Passing defense: Look for Mesa, fifth in the nation in sacks, to bring the heat on freshman QB Trevor Eggleston. Adams has allowed 27 sacks this season.
3) Aerial attack: Both teams are allowing more than 240 passing yards per game.
4) Second-half rally: If the Mavericks fall behind, don’t count them out. Mesa State has rallied from two halftime deficits to win.
5) Field position: The Grizzlies’ kickoff team leads the RMAC with 19 touchbacks and a 45.1 net average.