Mavs play to draw with CSU-Pueblo in soccer

Colorado Mesa’s Jackie Ramsey, 7, is congratulated Sunday by Kelly Parkhurst after scoring a goal to give the Mavericks a 1-0 lead in the first half of a 1-1 double overtime draw against CSU-Pueblo.

As a whole, the Colorado Mesa University women’s soccer team had few issues in Sunday’s 1-1 double overtime draw against Colorado State University-Pueblo at Walker Field.

For nearly the entire 110 minutes of the game the Mavericks (6-6-4, 5-3-4 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) controlled possession, consistently found open shot opportunities and goalie Sarah Schnetzler stopped nearly everything that came at her.

The issue was getting it done on the offensive end of the field.

“We certainly played intense today, the problem is we didn’t play efficiently or proficiently in the final third where we should have,” said CMU coach Erin Sharpe. “We were capable of finishing a lot more than we did.”

“The reality is that we’ve got some kids out with injury, we’re a bit beat up though. It’s like we talked about though, that’s college soccer,” Sharpe said.

“We’re in the final stretch but we’re going to find a way to continue to grind through it.”

The team was short offensive starters Sara Islas and Tayler Franklin. Islas was serving a suspension because of her 5th yellow card, which she got in Friday’s 1-1 tie with New Mexico Highlands, and Franklin was out with a concussion, Sharpe said.

Despite having a few different names in the lineup, the Mavs still controlled the ball for most of the game and finished with 26 shots, 13 on goal.

Among them were a shot 21 minutes into the game by Kelly Parkhurst toward the upper left corner of the net. The ball went off the fingertips of goalie Savannah Thompson and bounced down off the crossbar. Although Kaselyn Butters was in the box for the rebound, she was called offsides on the play.

In the 33rd minute, junior forward Jackie Ramsey shot a ball inside the box that ricocheted down from the middle of the crossbar, but was not ruled a goal after being caught near the goal line by Thompson.

It wasn’t until the 44th minute that Ramsey, a product of Montezuma-Cortez High School, scored for the Mavericks. It was the first goal of her college career.

The goal came on a low cross across the box by Kelci Crispe as the announcer was counting down the final 10 seconds of the half.

Ramsey was playing in the front of the box and kicked it to the right, past Thompson with 5.3 second left on the clock.

“It was an excellent cross by Kelci,” Ramsey said. “She puts them in all day long and I just stepped right in front of that defender at the right time.”

Although CSU-Pueblo started the second half playing the ball more controlled, CMU still outshot the ThunderWolves 11-6 in the half.

The ThunderWolves tied the game in 73rd minute when Esther Villa took a shot from outside the box that ricochetted down from the crossbar and grabbed by Schnetzler. After a momentary delay, an assistant referee ruled the ball a goal to tie the game.

Late in the half and during overtime, CMU relied heavily on shots from outside the box that went wide or high.

Sharpe said although they weren’t the best shots, it was a matter of strategy.

“When you’re in overtime you’re just looking to take as many shots as possible and take your chances that way,” Sharpe said.

In overtime, CMU allowed only one shot, which was saved by Schnetzler and had seven, three on goal.

With two games left, the Mavericks are in sixth place in the RMAC and will likely qualify for the RMAC championship tournament. CMU is ahead of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs by six points for the final spot in the tournament.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy