Montrose can’t keep pace with time-killing Monarch

Montrose High School defensive captain Anthony Crow pursues Monarch’s Mark Ethan in the first quarter Friday night. Monarch won the game, 28-12.

Montrose High School’s Angelo Youngren runs for a first down in the first quarter Friday night against visiting Monarch. Youngren had two touchdowns in the game, but the Indians lost, 28-12.

MONTROSE — Angelo Youngren had another big game.

The Montrose High School senior running back rushed for 230 yards and two touchdowns, but it wasn’t enough.

Third-ranked Monarch (4-1) held the ball for more than 28 minutes and rushed for 297 yards to defeat the Indians 28-12 on Friday night.

“Monarch was who we thought they were,” Montrose coach Todd Casebier said. “They did some good things. We needed to match them score for score, and we didn’t.

“We played good enough on defense to win. We’ve got to finish drives. The first drive we don’t score. We fumble on our first drive of the second half, and we throw an interception at the goal line. You can’t make those mistakes against them.”

Monarch coach Phil Bravo was thrilled to get the victory after the long trip.

“Montrose is a well-coached team,” Bravo said. “Coach Casebier does a good job. This is not an easy road trip. It took us six hours to get here. It’s gratifying.”

The Coyotes dominated the line of scrimmage on offense behind its senior-laden offensive line.

Junior running back Ethan Marks had 36 carries for 204 yards and two touchdowns. The rest of the team had 35 rushes for 93 yards and two touchdowns.

Monarch went on a 15-play, 70-yard drive to open the game and take a 7-0 lead. The drive took six minutes. Marks led the way with 10 carries for 47 yards, including a two-yard touchdown run.

“The first dive is what we do,” Bravo said. “That’s what we condition for. We want to establish ourselves and set the table.”

Youngren carried the Indians to the Monarch six-yard line, but the drive stalled. Montrose went for it on fourth down, but the pass failed.

Monarch ate up another 7:33 on its second possession, but Youngren intercepted a rare Monarch pass to end the drive.

Montrose ran into Monarch territory again, but its drive stalled.

The Indians, though, only trailed by a touchdown at the half and had the ball to start the second half, but Montrose fumbled a handoff exchange, and Monarch recovered.

The Coyotes ate up another 5:16 with a 70-yard scoring drive with all of the yards coming on the ground. Marks finished it with a seven-yard TD run for a 14-0 lead.

The Indians converted three third-down plays on their next possession, resulting in a Youngren’s one-yard TD run with 39 seconds left in the third quarter. Youngren had six carries for 22 yards on the drive.

Monarch responded with another five-plus-minute drive and to had to convert a first-and-20 play to do so. Kidd Soole scored on a four-yard run for a 21-6 lead.

Montrose had an opportunity to answer, but Kyle Billingsly picked off Drew Casebier in the end zone and returned it near midfield.

“We were doing some things on the defensive line, moving people around,” Bravo said. “Billingsly’s pick was huge.”

The Coyotes went 56 yards to seal the victory with a Philip Bubernak touchdown run.

Youngren added a 40-yard score with 13 seconds left.

Montrose (3-3) is off next week before beginning Southwestern Conference play at Fruita Monument.

“If we take first or second in the conference, we’re in the playoffs,” Casebier said. “The focus is not on the playoffs, it’s on beating Fruita. That’s going to be a large task, especially now that they beat Junction.”


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy