Montrose overcomes delay, sloppy field to beat Central

MONTROSE — The Montrose High School football team had plenty of distractions with homecoming in full swing this week.

When its game against Central rolled around Friday night, there were even more things to take the Indians’ attention away from football. Montrose powered through a 1-hour, 15-minute lightning delay and sloppy field conditions to defeat the Warriors 35-6.

The Indians (3-2) opened a 21-0 lead on the Warriors (1-4) in the first half before persistent lightning and heavy rains extended halftime.

Both teams ended their first drives with fumbles, as the wet conditions created ball security issues, before Montrose fullback Cade Atwood rumbled in for a 1-yard touchdown with 3:40 left in the first quarter. After another Warriors fumble, Sam Collins surged in for a 5-yard touchdown to put the Indians up 14-0 after one quarter. Collins struck again late in the second quarter, scoring from 6 yards out 1:48 before halftime.

Then lightning cut across the sky and thunder shook Montrose High School, keeping players in the locker rooms.

Indians coach Brett Mertens said his team had handled the homecoming revelry well all week, so remaining focused during the delay wasn’t an issue.

“We’ve had distractions all week long, so we just told them that this is one more possible distraction, so just keep your heads on,” Mertens said. “We just had them sitting quietly until we were able to get back out there. They did a good job of staying focused and it’s always easier to go through that kind of delay being up three scores than being down.

“Credit to our kids — our defense, especially — for playing well for four quarters despite all of that.”

Montrose quarterback Caleb Egbert had the only score of the third quarter, rolling to his left on a bootleg and running untouched for a 9-yard touchdown.

Hayze Small plowed in for a 7-yard touchdown midway through the fourth quarter to put the Indians up 35-0 before both teams put in backups.

During the final moments of the game, Central avoided a shutout when Max Marsh found Jackson Eads wide open for a 60-yard touchdown connection with 4.4 seconds remaining.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy