51 years for role in Kyle Free's slaying


Rebecca Walker, 35, was sentenced to a total prison sentence of 51 years on Friday after pleading guilty to second-degree murder in the slaying of Clifton resident Kyle Free in April, 2018.

The plea deal stipulated a sentence of 48 years in the Department of Corrections for second- degree murder.

Walker also agreed to a range of 15 months to three years for a tampering with physical evidence charge and a range of one year to 18 months for a second count of tampering with physical evidence.

Assistant District Attorney Rich Tuttle confirmed after the sentencing that Walker received three years for the tampering charges.

"We were within the parameters of what we bargained for," he said. "It's a combined sentence of 51 years, which we are satisfied with as a prosecution office."

Walker's arrest affidavit describes what happened in Free's death and the disposal of his remains.

According to investigators, Walker and Free shared a home on Mesa Lake Street in Clifton in 2018.

On April 27, 2018, Kyle's brother reported him missing.

In August, investigators asked Walker about Free's disappearance, including asking about a rumor they heard about Free's alleged killer, John Eddy, and Walker reportedly told them "she didn't know anything" and "hadn't seen Kyle."

Then after months of investigation, which included making possible connections between Walker and Eddy, Walker reportedly told members of the Mesa County Sheriff's Office Crime Reduction Unit what happened.

On Oct. 9, 2018, she said Eddy and 32-year-old David Castro came to her home that day in April and shot Free, the affidavit said.

She said she locked the garage door so Free couldn't get out, hid in the closet and heard four gunshots after a brief confrontation.

According to her story, she looked in the garage and saw Free lying on the floor of the garage wheezing. She then reportedly locked the door and went to her mother's house.

Walker told investigators she cleaned up the blood approximately four days after the shooting and his body remained in the garage for a few days.

"She described how she had to step over the body to get to the freezer to get food out for dinner," the affidavit said.

Two friends, 28-year-old Timothy Russman and 29-year-old Nate Ryan, allegedly helped her move the body later, she said.

All five of the suspects implicated were charged in the case.

An arraignment hearing is scheduled for Castro at 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 19.

Eddy is scheduled for a plea hearing at 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 30.

A jury trial for Russman is to begin on Oct. 7 and Ryan's jury trial is set to begin Sept. 3.

Recommended for you